-Dietary management of pregnant women
-During pregnancy the needs for some nutrients increase in quantity:
|Key Points To Remember:
- The meal frequency should be increased. Meals should be given 5-6 times a day.
- Plenty of fluids should be given
for e.g.; milk, juices, butter milk, coconut water.
- Include good, nutritious snacks
between meals, especially fruits
- Avoid too much fat and sugar.
- Avoid excess of fried foods.
- Take care to include iron,
calcium and some animal proteins in each meal.
- A mixed diet consisting of food
items from each group namely.
- Energy giving group
- Body- building group
- Regulatory / protectory group
- The requirements for energy, proteins, calcium and iron are maximum during pregnancy hence include more of cereals, pulses, milk & milk products, fruits, green leafy vegetables, in the diet.
- If income persists nuts, oilseeds
should be included in the diet.
- Many times it is not possible to
include iron in the form of tablets can be given.
- Folic acid tablets also should be
given from the 2nd trimester.
- During pregnancy iodized salt
should be used for cooking to meet iodine needs.
Foods rich in :
Some special food items prepared by elderly women in
the house like methi-paak, khajur paak, panjiri, badam
laddoo are beneficial if taken in moderate amount.
Digestive changes occur because
of which Constipation results hence food which is well
cooked, semi-liquid foods should be given in moderation.
To overcome morning sickness
carbohydrate foods like biscuits, breads etc should be
given with the bed-tea.
To over come heart burns of
feeling of heaviness /fullness one should restrict
eating fatty & fried foods and very spicy foods.
Fiber rich foods should be given
to overcome constipation.
Minimum 8 to 10 glasses of water
should be given.
Fluids like coconut water, butter
milk, lime juice, milk should be given in between meals.
To avoid vomiting she should not
eat foods with very strong smell and strong flavors.
exercise daily as
advised by the doctor.
She should go for morning walks
and evening walks.
She should take adequate rest and
no hard work.
- Calcium :
Ragi, amaranth seeds, kidney beans, gingelly seeds,
mustard seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, milk & milk
products, sea foods like hilsa, rohu, cheese, fenugreek,
are rich in calcium
- Iron :
Liver, mutton, mustard leaves, mint, lettuce, water melon, raisins, dates, apricot, phalsa, rice flakes, bajra, Soya bean, lentil, peas, Bengal gram,
Jaggery, green leafy vegetable
- Energy giving foods :
Cereals, roots and tubers, sugar, jaggery, fats and oil
- Proteins needs :
Milk &milk products, soyabean, egg, fish, goat’s meat, groundnuts, cashew nuts, pulses
The calorie requirement of normal women is 1875 Kcal and
50gms proteins the same women when pregnant will require 1875 + 300 =2175
Kcal and 50 + 15 = 65 g of proteins.
During the 1st trimester the foetus is small and its
nutritional needs are not significant. The requirement for
most nutrients increase only after the 2nd trimester